There are several common issues users run into when sending or receiving SMS messages. This article outlines a few of the most common problems and provides troubleshooting tips.
Here are some of the issues we will cover:
- I am not receiving messages to my mobile number
- My message wasn't delivered
- Unable to SMS some numbers (desktop app)
- I am not Receiving SMS on my Jet app
- SMS report shows my message is INVALID
- I'm seeing an Error code
- I'm trying to text an international number
- My messages are being split
I am not receiving messages to my mobile number
If you need to receive SMS messages through a Jet phone number, you must have SMS set up in the callflow for this number, and be logged into your Jet phone app to receive your messages.
To add SMS to your callflows, click here: How to add SMS
To troubleshoot your Jet phone login, click here: Troubleshooting your Jet Soft Phone apps
To view the SMS report for successful messages, click here: SMS Report
If you have SMS set up in your callflow, you are logged into your Jet app with the app active on your screen and you are also showing as online in the Online Status page but SMS messages are still not coming through, please contact Support and provide the date/time of the messages that did not come through.
My message wasn't delivered
Firstly, check if the SMS appears in your SMS report. Please note, messages sent internally (between Jet Users) will not reflect in the report. If your message does not display, please try to send this again, and ensure you are using the correct country code i.e. 61 at the start of your phone number.
If the message appears in your SMS report but has still not been received by your recipient, please contact Jet Support.
Please note, Jet does not support SMS messages to International numbers.
Unable to SMS some numbers (desktop app)
Some users encounter an error on a desktop app where they are unable to message certain contacts, and they see an error message: Cannot send message. Ensure that a value account is enabled.
This error is due to an incorrect contact configuration. Please go into the contact and ensure the first and last name are entered as letters only, and the phone number is configured as "Work" and not "Softphone".
If you are still having issues, please delete the contact from your device and delete the message history for that number. Then send a new message to that phone number, and save the contact again from the new message thread.
I am not Receiving SMS on my Jet app
Please check the internet connection you are using, for example changing your device to run over 4G instead of wifi and do a test SMS again once this is changed.
If you are still unable to receive messages, please contact Jet Support.
Please note, Jet does not support SMS messages from international numbers, or from any services that do not come from a valid Australian number.
Receiving OTP or 2FA codes
At this time, Jet also does not support receiving incoming SMS from external Alphanumeric Sender IDs. An Alphanumeric Sender ID is not a phone number, but a string of letters and numbers, usually spelling the name of the business or entity sending the messages.
Alpha sender IDs are common when receiving 2FA or OTP codes. If you are trying to receive a code via your Jet mobile number, please check with the sender if this has been sent from an Alpha ID, and use a different contact method if it is.
SMS report shows my message is INVALID
If you send an SMS to a number that is in the wrong format, this will show in your SMS report as INVALID, and the message will not be delivered.
All SMS to Australian numbers should be sent in 61 format, so the phone number 0412 345 678 would need to be entered as 6142345678
I'm seeing an Error code
If you are having any app issues, these will usually display with an error code. The most common are listed below:
- 503 - This error means service is not available due to a network connection. Please change your network connection (eg: use 4G over wifi)and try again. Contact your Internet service provider (ISP) if this continues.
- 404 - The number you are dialling does not exist and the request cannot be completed. This could mean an invalid number or number entered incorrectly. Check your number and try again.
- 407 - The request requires user authentication which could mean incorrect log in details or account not setup correctly. Please log out of the app and log back in and try again. Contact Jet Support if this continues.
- 408 - This is a timeout error that is usually associated with an invalid internet connection. Please change your network connection (eg: use 4G over wifi) and try again. Contact your Internet service provider (ISP) if this continues.
A full list of error codes can be found here: I'm seeing a SIP Error Code
I'm trying to text an international number
Jet does not support SMS to or from international numbers.
My Messages are being split
We have a character limit of 160 characters which means messages over this length will get split into multiple messages.
If you are sending longer messages over 160 characters and your internet connection is not strong enough, these split messages can also sometimes send out of order. We recommend trying to keep messages under the character count, and sending them individually if needed.
Please note, emojis are considered as two characters. If a message has more than 5 emojis included, this split can occur at 70 characters.
Cannot send SMS attachments
Jet supports the sending of links only, and we do not support MMS or document sharing via SMS.